Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Let's talk about names.  Every country has names that are common, expected and easy to pronounce.  Of course, how the name is pronounced and how difficult it is is to pronounce the name is subject the language and the region where the name is being used.  In my country, if not mostly around the world, the name Saleh is pronounced as an Arab name: Sah-leh, Soh-lah are a few versions.  In western countries, I have heard the name Saleh pronounced as Su-lay, Si-lay and So-lay.  My guess is that this type of pronunciation has its origins in romance languages Romance-languages the name Saleh harkens to the name sun;  sole, sol and sun are a few versions that come to mind.  This doesn't happen in my favorite country of Egypt.  Nevertheless, Saleh Stevens or Stevens Saleh, however your prefer to arrange your/my name (also dependent on language (culture) and region) the history of the name and the historical figure associated with the name are awesome!  

In this blog, let's try to come up with the illustrious and sometimes dubious figures that have the name Saleh.  This list will grow over time, but feel free to chime in as you feel appropriate.  But only with positive feedback--let's stay peaceful and happy!

First up:

2 comments:

  1. This is an interesting topic, but it begs the question what is in a name? I personally can't offer a definition, but I can tell that it is a strong and positive name by the way it sort of rolls off the tongue. But I ask: Is it the definition of the name or is it what you make of your name that matters?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment! I guess a name is mostly what you make of it. This is why I am interested in visiting people with my namesake. The prophet Saleh is an interesting place to start, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete